Thursday, January 18, 2018

Tomb Raider (2001)





I know nothing about the games. Going in, I was expecting this to be a fun, silly, stupid but fun stupid movie and that's exactly what I got so I can't really complain. It does have a lot of problems, particularly from the story. It doesn't make a lot of sense, there are subplots that are never resolved, and it's just lazily written, and it was really just an excuse for action scenes and slow-mo shots (which are awesome, by the way). The acting isn't really all that great, particularly from Daniel Craig, but this was one of his first big movies, so I'll be more forgiving of his performance. I just wish they hadn't cast a Brit to do an American accent and an American to do a British accent. It feels like Jolie and Craig had a contest between takes where they would try to one-up the other's true accent, and it's just distracting and silly. Would I recommend it? Not really, but if you want to get some feel for what Tomb Raider is (which doesn't even really do that, since they don't really raid tombs in this movie. False advertising) before you see the remake in March, it's ok. It was pretty much exactly what I expected, so I can't complain a lot, but I'm hoping the remake tries a little harder.
Grade: C    7/10    3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment