Friday, July 14, 2017

Power Rangers



To be honest, I got pretty much what I expected with this movie. I thought at best it would be average, and at worst it would be a dumpster fire, like "Fant4stic". And yeah, it was perfectly average. A lot could have been improved, changed, and taken out, but at the end of the day, I was entertained. I wasn't checking how much runtime was left, or praying for the sweet release of the end credits,  but I wouldn't exactly recommend this film to anybody either. It's entertaining, but not exactly a film I'm clamoring to watch again. The film did suffer from a lot of problems. The chemistry between the 4 leads was awful. The runtime is 2 hours and 15 min, and for a movie called "Power Rangers" and it takes almost 2 hours of that for them to actually become the Power Rangers. Instead, they fill up the time with teen angst and drama. It felt like I was watching a Disney Channel movie or something on Freeform. There was one part where a character supposedly died, but I honestly didn't care because not enough time was spent on their character development. I was indifferent to what happened to these characters. Also, they hired Bryan Cranston, but just like in 2014's "Godzilla," he's barely in it, and his talent is wasted. Bill Hader got more screentime. Bill Hader! I like Bill Hader, but in small incriments. He was in this wasy too much. By far, the best part of the movie was Elizabeth Banks' performance as the villain. She went over-the-top without overdoing it. Just a classic Saturday morning cartoon style villain who enjoys being evil for the sake of being evil. The first half of the movie did give me a sense of deja vu, as it felt a little too much like someone was trying to do a remake of "Chronicle." There are very few times where I praise the score of a movie, but I have to here. I loved the score. It sounded like the soundtrack to "Tron: Legacy." I'm glad I didn't pay to see this in theaters, but it was worth a rent. If you're at Redbox, and this is in stock, and there's nothing else you want to see, it's worth at least one watch.
Grade: C    7/10    3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment