Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Rings





I don't get why most critics on Rotten Tomatoes hate horror films so much. Why is the score for this so low? It's very well done. I wasn't sure it would work. If putting the movie "The Ring" in a modern day setting in the Internet Age would ruin the first one's "urban legend" element. Surprisingly, it works! I'm not a blood and guts horror guy. I'm rather squeamish with that type of thing which is why I stay away from it. I prefer psychological horror, and boy does this film deliver on that! I was constantly surprised by the misdirection of what was real and what wasn't, to the point where I was wondering if I had been cursed by Samara myself. Some of the characters' motivations don't make a whole lot of sense, and most of the plot is progressed through silly little coincidences. (But let's be honest. Most horror/thriller films these days have that). But the end twist (which I don't dare reveal here, because it's that brilliant) makes up for the problems somewhat. The acting in this film isn't terrible, but it isn't great. I wasn't really feeling emotion for any of the characters, and the acting except for Vincent D'Onofrio's character is average at best. But considering this film was delayed several times, to the point where many, myself included wondered if this film would even be released, I'd say it was a pretty good attempt.
Grade: B.  8/10.  4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment