Saturday, May 28, 2016

Alice Through the Looking Glass




I'm glad to see Tim Burton learned from his mistakes of the first one. While the first one felt like "Lord of the Rings," and had way too much fantasy, this one actually feels like the source material. It's an original story, but still feels like the world of Wonderland. It didn't really feel like a Tim Burton movie. For one, there's color. Also, the visual imagery in this movie looked like something Robert Rodreguiz would make.  That's a good thing, though because it's fantastic. The story was intriguing, the villian was comedic while still being somewhat threatening, the action was exciting, it was just an all around fun film. However, there is one thing that bugs me. Making Alice an action heroine. There's nothing wrong with strong female characters in movies, as long as it fits that world, like with Marvel or Star Wars. But when it's in a movie like this, it feels forced. Also, the White Queen apparently can't talk without fluttering her hands. It's very distracting and looks ridiculous. Compared to the first film, this one is actually pretty good. I was genuinely surprised by how much I liked this. It was enthralling! It's what the first movie should have been. 
Grade: A-  9/10. 4/5

3 comments:

  1. Tim Burton didn't direct this one. I had to do serious research to back it when i found out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim Burton didn't direct this one. I had to do serious research to back it when i found out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Tim Burton didn't direct this one, but he was producer. Just as I said in my 10 Cloverfield Lane review the producer still has a lot of influence. One might argue they have more than the director

    ReplyDelete