Saturday, April 25, 2015

Unbroken





Why, Academy? Why didn't you nominate this for anything? This movie was amazing, and if I had seen it before 2014 ended it would have been on my top 10 list for sure. Jack O'Connell did a phenomenal job as Louis Zamperini, and rivals Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayal of Alan Turing in "The Imitation Game." I can't decide whose acting I liked better. I felt a range of emotion watching this film that I haven't felt in a long time. I was actually yelling at the screen at Takamasa Ishihara who plays Col. Watanabe, the antagonist of the film, because he felt genuinely evil. I wanted to reach through the screen and punch him in the face. This is such a powerful film, and it's a shame it wasn't nominated. I was so amazed at the hardships Louis had to endure, and genuinely felt for him. Everything about this film is amazing. The acting, the writing, even the score. There's something very unusual about this film that was a pleasant surprise to see. Religion is a key factor to the films plot, and it isn't mocked. That's something we need in more films.  It's a shame that the real Louis Zamperini passed away before this film was released. I'm sure he'd be proud. This is one of those films that you absolutely must see before you die. It's so inspiring, and puts everything in perspective. Bravo, Angelina Jolie. Bravo.

Grade: A+  10/10 5/5 stars.









No comments:

Post a Comment