Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Aladdin (2019)



If "Dumbo" earlier this year was an example for Disney of how not to do a remake, this is a great example of exactly how to do one. This far exceeded my expectations. I love Guy Ritchie's other films ("Sherlock Holmes", "Man From UNCLE", "Stardust", among others), and so I expected this film to pretty good, but this just wowed me! The film is different enough that it's not just watching the animated one again, but familiar enough to stay true to the story. I see this film as a fairy tale that has been passed down and changed slightly over time (as actual fairy tales are.) Believe it or not, there are spoilers for this movie (not this review, though). I know the biggest question is "How is Will Smith as the Genie?" I'm not going to compare him to Robin Williams, because that's not fair, but I will say that he is the best part of the film. He does exactly what the character of the Genie is supposed to do: Be the comic relief who occasionally gives helpful, friendly advice.  It's a throwback to his "Fresh Prince" days.  The plot does move a bit quickly in the beginning and some scenes from the original are switched around or changed slightly (Even the songs have some new lyrics!), but I felt that made the film fresher. There are some amazing dance sequences in this film that reminded me of a Bollywood flick. Also, side-note, my screening was in 3D, but it added nothing, so don't pay the extra $5 for the 3D. This is probably the most visually impressive, best directed film this year so far. I had a smile on my face the whole time and was totally enthralled. 
Grade: A-    9/10     4/5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment