Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Pacific Rim: Uprising


I went it with mild expectations, because I had heard mixed reviews. The general consensus seemed to be "meh." I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! Was it perfect? No. Could some of the writing have been better? Absolutely. But I knew what kind of film I was going into. I wasn't going into some intellectual film made to made you think. I was going into a cheesy popcorn flick, with action. And that's what I got. My expectations were met. I got exactly the kind of film I was hoping for. Was the first one better? Yes. Do I still like this one? Yes. It's a live action Saturday morning cartoon. Nothing more. If the first one was "Transformers" mixed with "Godzilaa", this is more of that, but with "Power Rangers"  thrown in there as well. Without spoiling anything, I will say I wish the last scene had been left out, or put on the Bluray as an alternate ending, because if the studio decides they don't want to make a 3rd one, that last scene was pointless and I will be disappointed. John Boyega was one of the best parts of this movie. His character is well written and you understand why he does what he does. He was actually the most interesting character in the movie. John Boyega has come a long way since "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" and that was only 3 years ago. (He was also producer on this film as well. Good for him!) If you enjoyed the first one, you'll get pretty much of the same. Nothing more. Nothing less. It is on par with the first one. Neither better nor worse.
Grade: A-    9/10    4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment