Wednesday, October 18, 2017

The Lego Ninjago Movie (Repost)





I posted this review almost a month ago, but for some reason, it never got published. I'd hoped this was an error on Blogger's part, but I guess not. Unfortunately, I can not remember everything that I said, just the general gist of it, so this won't be as good as the original review. (Sorry.)


Out of the 3 Lego movies that have been released so far, this is my least favorite. I still liked it, just not as much. When I left "The Lego Movie" and "The Lego Batman Movie", my face hurt from laughing so much. And while I did laugh a lot here, I didn't laugh as much. I think part of the reason for that is because Phil Lord and Chris Miller didn't direct this time around, as they were busy working on the upcoming Han Solo movie at the time. (They have since been removed from the project.) I think another reason is because the studios released this one too quickly. Lego Batman came out in February and this came out in September. That's only 7 months between Lego movies. I feel they should have waited a while. Especially since Lego Movie 2 isn't coming out until 2019. If they had spent more time on this and released it in 2018, I feel it could have been better. A lot of the CGI was very impressive, and something happens about 25 minutes into the film that I won't dare spoil. It had me laughing to the point where I was crying. And there were some funny running gags, and the good news is, those running gags didn't get old. They actually got better as they went on, and the payoff at the end was hilarious. I did feel that as far as plot went, there was still something left to be desired. I felt like I'd already seen some of it in the original Lego Movie. It had almost the same message. I think this could have been more original if they had waited for Lord and Miller to be available to direct. This was like getting a Lego set and having it 98% completed, but never being able to fully complete it because you lost track of the last few pieces. What you did is still very good, but you wonder how much better it could have been if it had lived up to its full potential.
Grade: B   8/10   3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment