Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The Good Dinosaur








The animation in this movie was beautifully done and super detailed. I can only imagine how many man-hours it took to create every little speck of dirt, every drop of rain, and every little pebble. The backgrounds and nature aspect look super realistic. However, the animation is really the only highlight of this movie. As for the plot, it's nothing special. It doesn't really have that Pixar charm. I feel like any other studio could have made this. "Inside Out", "The Incredibles," and "Finding Nemo" all had original stories that no one had thought of before. Those movies were absolute genius. They all had a certain "Wow!" factor that no other animation studio could top. Here, I feel like Pixar got lazy. It's like they combined the "getting back to my family" story of Finding Nemo with the "prehistoric creature helps human get back to their family" story of Ice Age. There's even moments that feel copied from "The Lion King." There were 1 or 2 funny lines, but they weren't enough to save it from lazy writing. It also had the one thing I thought I'd never see in a Pixar movie is here: a drug reference. Yep, you read that right. A drug reference. That seems kind of low for you, Pixar. I'd expect that from Dreamworks, but not you. I would definitely not nominate this for Best Animated Feature. It's a good movie, but nothing special. 
Grade: B+. 8/10. 3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment