Saturday, August 1, 2015

Pixels



If you're a child of the 80s, an arcade aficionado, or a gamer in general, this is the film for you. If not, then its not for you and you probably won't like it. However, if, like me, you are in the target audience you will most likely enjoy this film. Although it isn't really that original, (let's be honest. It's "Ghostbusters" but with video games) it's still well done. The ending was a bit silly, and felt rushed and du-ex-machina, but up until that point I thought it was great. It is a bit slow in some parts and I wanted it to get back into the action, especially because those parts have no effect on the plot whatsoever. They tried to set up a romantic relationship between two characters, but it's wasted because they don't end up together anyway. And since Sean Bean is in the movie I felt they missed an oppurtunity to make a joke about how he always dies. They could have had him in an arcade where he gets a game over screen, and then had him say "Why do I always die?" Missed oppurtunity. I did enjoy the countless 80's pop culture references, and those were the best part of the movie. It's too bad this is getting bad reviews, because I was the only person in the theater the whole time. I thought this was a great movie. Will it be remembered in 10, or even 5 years from now? No, but it's a great movie nonetheless. 

Grade: B.   8/10   3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment