Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Inside Out



This is not only one of the best animated films of the year, it's one of the best films of the year, period. I'm glad to see Pixar slowly returning to form, by making charming, original films for the whole family. I've noticed that they've evolved from making movies that were considered "kids films" and going into deeper, more complex themes. As the audience who first saw Toy Story in 1995 (20 years ago) has grown up, so have Pixar's movies grown up with them. Pixar does the impossible. They make films for older audiences, while at the same time keeping them appropriate for the children who want to see it. We all know that this will win Best Animated Film at the Oscars next year simply because it has the Pixar name attached to it, but this is one of those times where I agree. (So far. That may change, because we still have Minions, Hotel Transylvania 2, Peanuts, and Pixar's next film The Good Dinosaur coming out this year.) I enjoyed the more subtle bits of humor for older audiences, that 10 years from now kids will rewatch this film and say "oh, now I get it." I thought I would be able to predict the plot, but the movie proved me wrong. I was not able to predict any of the plot other than what was shown in the trailers. This is one of Pixar's best. It makes up for Brave and Cars 2. I liked those, just not as much. I wouldn't say those are their best. This movie made me very emotional. (No pun intended) It's definitely a film that little kids won't appreciate as much as older audiences, because it's so deep. There is also a short before the movie called "Lava" about 2 volcanoes who fall in love. I thought that was great, too. The whole story was told through an island song which I felt was very unique. That definitely deserves some Oscar love too in the Best Animated Short category. 

Grade: A+  10/10 5/5 stars




No comments:

Post a Comment