Saturday, November 24, 2018

Ralph Breaks the Internet


If "Incredibles 2'' beats this for Best Animated Film at the Oscars next year, I'm going to be so ticked! I'd say not only is this one of the best animated films of 2018, it's one of the best films of 2018, period. The plot was not predictable, there were lots of in-jokes and Easter Eggs. This is what "The Emoji Movie" wishes it could be. The film doesn't have much going for it in terms of plot, the plot is pretty simple, but I don't think that was the point of the movie. I think this was supposed to be more "Let's see how many jokes we can make in 100 minutes." Do all the jokes work? No. Some of them actually fall really flat, and there were some elements I think could have been expanded more. This is more akin to "Lego" movies than anything else. The scenes with the Disney princesses being exaggerated parodies of themselves is worth the price of admission alone. (It actually makes me want a Disney Princess "Avengers" type movie.) And there are plenty of other jokes for Marvel and Star Wars. This is probably the hardest I've laughed at a movie this year. It's the rare sequel that in some ways is  slightly better than the original.
Grade: A-    9/10    4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment